Spring is a time for fresh starts… so why not start each day with a fresh breakfast? You’ve heard it before, but I’ll say it again: in many ways, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It gives you fuel for the day ahead, and jumpstarts your metabolism.
But I get it, you’re likely crunched for time in the morning it can be tempting to swing by a bagel truck on your walk to work, or skip breakfast all together. DON’T DO IT! You’ll just end up crashing by late morning and reaching for more caffeine. What's the point of an extra 5 minutes of sleep after the snooze button if it means you loose energy by skipping breakfast?
Instead, check out my favorite tasty breakfast ideas that take a minuscule amount of prep (seriously, I'm the ultimate lazy girl in the kitchen), but offer maximum health benefits to power you through your day!
MOLLASSES CHIA SEED PUDDING [V] [GF] – Natty’s Treehouse Kitchen
Chia seed pudding sounds fancy, but it’s actually absurdly easy to make. There’s almost no going wrong, so feel free to experiment with mixing different types of yogurts and milks with your chia – or play with ratios to find the texture you like best. Plus you can add different toppings, or use maple syrup in place of blackstrap molasses for a sweeter, milder flavor.
This recipe gets the “Healthy Hippie” stamp of approval because… Chia seeds are packed with Omega 3’s, protein and fiber – so they keep you full, regulate your digestive system and improve brain health. Greek yogurt and Kefir offer more protein (crucial for jumpstarting the morning) plus probiotics essential for a healthy gut. Kefir is also fermented - making it 99% lactose free and easy to digest. Lastly, blackstrap molasses is packed with iron, calcium, magnesium and many more minerals which are often overlooked in the average diet. Plus, it’s low calorie with a moderate glycemic index – pretty much as good as it gets for a sweetener.
I whip up a batch of this every week, and it lasts as long in the fridge as yogurt would. Eat it plain, or top it with bananas or berries!
- 1/3 c raw chia seeds
- 1 ¼ c Kefir (I like Kefir because of it's thick liquid texture, and because it's 99% lactose free so it's easy to digest. You can also use a combo of unsweetened almond milk and Greek yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons organic, unsulfured blackstrap molasses (This can be a little tricky to find, but any local health food store should have it. Don’t settle for regular molasses, which is less aged and not nearly as potent.)
- 2 tablespoons organic, raw maple syrup
- Place chia seeds in a bowl or Tupperware
- Add everything else and stir until well mixed
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap or Tupperware lid
- Allow to sit for a minimum of 4 hours
ALMOND BUTTER BANANA FLATBREAD [V] [VV] – Natty’s Treehouse Kitchen
This satisfying sandwich is so tasty, it almost feels like dessert – especially if you use a nice ripe banana. I wish this bread came in a gluten free variety, but if you're ok with gluten - it's super healthy and especially tasty when toasted.
This recipe gets the “Healthy Hippie” stamp of approval because… Almond butter is more nutritious than peanut butter, and personally I think it’s milder nuttiness pairs even better with banana. With everyone’s fear of sugar – bananas have recently gotten a bad rap for being sweeter than other fruit. The truth is that while yes, they do have their fair share of sugar – it’s easily broken down thanks to the fiber in the fruit, transforming it into pure energy. That’s why bananas make an excellent choice for breakfast, when you need energy for the rest of the day. Plus, they’re loaded with magnesium, potassium, and B vitamins (more energy!) AND are a prebiotic which aids digestion and calcium absorption.
PHEW! So go ahead, grab a banana in the morning – even if you don’t have time to make it into a sandwich, it’s the original zero prep breakfast food!
- 1 slice of Mestemacher Fitness Bread or any other flavor of your choice – they’re all pretty delicious and nutritious! (These breads are surprisingly easy to find at most grocery stores, just look for the little brown loaf)
- 2 tbsp almond butter of your choice. I’m currently obsessed with Artisana brand, but Trader Joes’ is delicious also and much cheaper.
- 1 small ripe banana, sliced
- Lightly toast the bread to bring out it’s fully yummy nuttiness
- Smear almond butter on toast immediately for maximum meltiness
- Slice up banana on top
COFFEE & ALMOND MILK [V] [VV] [GF] – Natty’s Treehouse Kitchen
Ok, so this isn’t a recipe so much as a cry for the controversial, unsung hero of the morning… Coffee!!
This recipe gets the “Healthy Hippie” stamp of approval because… Many health nuts have avoided caffeine for years, but the most up to date research tells us that not only is coffee not bad for you, it’s actually GOOD! It’s been shown to stave off Parkinson’s disease, type 2 diabetes and liver disease. It’s a powerful antioxidant and obviously a mood booster that also helps increase your metabolism and actually burn fat.
The key here is moderation. Stick to 1-2 cups a day (and we’re not talking about a Starbucks Vente here) and you should be fine. Of course like everything, buy organic beans when you can to avoid nasty toxins and pesticides.
- 1.5 c organic coffee or 2 shots of espresso
- Splash of organic, unsweetened almond milk. Califa brand specifically is my fave because it's creamier than some of the other brands, so it holds up better in coffee and never seems to curdle.
[PHOTO CRED] Lord Ashbury
[VV] Vegan/Dairy Free
[GF] Gluten Free