It's late summer, and chances are high that you've got a barbecue or 3 in your very near future. There are usually plenty of healthy and simple salads and veggie sides to nibble on, but if those plans include a burger or steak on the barbie you may want to think twice about the kind of meat you're eating. There's a lot of hype surrounding grass feed meat and dairy, but does it really matter so much? The answer is yes, yes, YES! Grain-fed beef and grass-fed beef are essentially two different foods altogether. Here are 6 reasons why:
1. FEWER CALORIES Grass-fed beef is significantly lower in (the less healthy kind) of fat and calories than grain-fed.
2. MORE OMEGAS Grass-fed beef is a great source of Omega 3 fatty acids, and CLA (a fatty acid linked to weight loss, preventing cancer, and improved brain function.) Grain-fed meat is not. In fact, grass-fed has 2-4 times the amount of Omega 3's than grain-fed!
3. ADDITIVE FREE Grass-fed beef is typically hormone and antibiotic free, which is great because you probably didn't sign up for steroid toppings or a side of estrogen with that cheeseburger.
4. BETTER FAT The fat in grass-fed beef is far more nutrient dense than grain-fed. The more yellow fat represents higher levels of essentials including vitamin E, A and beta carotene.
5. REAL FOOD Grain-fed animals are fattened on feed lots, eating things like GMO corn and grain - sometimes mixed with all kinds of yucky stuff like chicken feathers and even stale gummy bears.
6. BETTER FOR EVERYONE Raising grass-fed cows is much more sustainable and safer for the environment.
So, yes true grass-fed beef is more expensive than the standard; but when it comes to what you put in your body, who wants the cheap stuff? You may pay less now, but a future of doctors and hospital visits to cure chronic illness will cost much more down the line. So think of it as an investment in your future, and go grass-fed!
Wanna add some global flare to your holiday fare? These Belgian/Scandinavian dishes are snatched from my own family's table; but don't worry, you won't find just another version of Brussels sprouts.
These recipes are a healthier spin on my family's traditions and as always; simple to recreate! Bon Appetit!
My boyfriend considers pizza a snack and pasta a basic food group. I am gluten free but lurrrve me some Italian cuisine. Check out how these 6 Italian hotspots in LA fared against an Italian and a Gluten-Free girl's standards, and how to do Italian light but right.
In the latest issue of Bon Appetit Magazine, I share my style tips for a well designed kitchen with Moen. Check out the April issue on newsstands now!
Check out the first of several Natty Style + Moen + Bon Appetit magazine collaborations. In the March issue, on newsstands now!
raw doesn’t always mean healthier and in fact, many veggies are better digested and their nutrients better absorbed when cooked.
Check out the cheat sheet below for the Do’s and Don’ts of which veggies to cook, which not to cook, and why.
Whether you live alone, have an unpredictable schedule and/or limited kitchen space - having a well rounded pantry makes quick and healthy meals a cinch. Expert in food, edible flowers and "urban survival" Monique Otero of Brunchpants shares her top 10 must-have-in-the-bombshelter pantry essentials.
This interactive map rounds up my picks for the best healthy and hip restaurants in Manhattan, all guaranteed to satisfy picky palettes, discerning eyes and slim waistlines alike.
Wanna spend less of your long weekend in the kitchen prepping, and more outside enjoying? Try this American classic made lighter, and a deceptively simple Italian cheese dip inspired by my recent travels.
There's a lot of hype surrounding grass feed meat and dairy, but does it really matter so much? The answer is yes, yes, YES! Grain-fed beef and grass-fed beef are essentially two different foods altogether. Here are 6 reasons why.
3 patriotic summer recipes from my favorite food bloggers; all bursting with color, nutrition and flavor; and perfect for sharing with friends and family this holiday weekend!