A week’s worth of outfits in a carry-on? No problem! At least in the summer. These 11 gorgeous (and sustainably sourced of course!) dresses are big on style not on suitcase space.
If I could take a magic wand and make my clients see themselves the way that the world sees them, I’d be a millionaire. Until then, I use my other superpower; styling, to accentuate the positives and minimize the negatives of each and every perfectly imperfect body that I meet.
Here are a few of my trade secrets for feeling great in your summer body.
It's been a whirlwind of a summer, but while many are mourning it's end I’m excited for what the changing seasons bring. Regardless of what's going on in your life at this very moment, there are plenty of reasons to celebrate this seasonal shift, or at least cheer yourself as you tearfully pack up your bikinis.
Welcome to summer. The best season for hitting the open road, open ocean, open sky... However you like to travel, now is the time. But once you've laid out your plans and decided where to go, it's time to consider the practical side. As an avid traveler with insatiable wanderlust, I've learned a few key tricks and tips along the way. From how to find the best flight, to scooting through security and staying safe away from home, these trade secrets are sure to come in handy no matter where you're headed.
You know you’re a food geek when your clothing starts to remind you of produce. Such was the inspiration for this post, which came from a necklace that I call my avocado collar because; well… it kinda looks like one! I jokingly call this my “dumpy brown jumpsuit” because on paper, it should be dumpy and hideous. Yet somehow, it’s actually pretty awesome! Sometimes something that sounds bad can actually be good; like FAT, as in the monounsaturated kind that’s in avocados.
In any case, avocados are still in season – and every time I pass by the produce section, I can't help but toss a few of nature's "green butter", as I call em, into my tote. Besides being down right delicious, avocados are Healthy Hippie approved because they are made up of mostly monounsaturated fat, aka “good fat”: the sort that lowers the bad and raises the good levels of cholesterol in your bloodstream. They’re high in both protein and fiber so they’re incredibly satiating and have even been shown to reduce BMI and boost metabolism, and their high potassium content works to regulate blood sugar levels and control blood pressure. Avocados are also loaded with vitamins K, C and E, plus carotenoids and Omega-9 fatty acids – all essential nutrients for glowing skin. So basically, the incredible edible avocado makes you look as good as you feel! Are you sold?! Great, now let’s eat…
Sure, everyone loves guacamole, but if by this late in the season you're looking to get a little more creative with your avo - check out 5 of my favorite ways to indulge deliciously.
As always, my recipes require few ingredients, little effort and lots of reward!!
[SUPER GREEN SMOOTHIE] [VV] [V] [GF] [DF]
Never thought to mix an avocado with something sweet? Think again! Avocado’s mild flavor and rich texture blend perfectly with fruit for a creamy, frothy treat.
- ½ ripe avocado
- 1 large, ripe banana
- 1 c frozen berries of your choice
- 1 c frozen spinach
- 2 tbsp Green Vibrance Superfood Powder
- 1 c almond milk (more if needed to blend)
- Pop all ingredients into blender
- Blend until smooth
[SPICY TROPICAL YOGURT PARFAIT] [V] [GF]
- ½ of one ripe avocado
- ½ cup of mango, cubed
- 1 c plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp harissa
- Sea salt & cracked pepper to taste
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Pour yogurt into a cup, leaving room at the top for ingredients
- Layer in mango and avocado with a sprinkle of salt and pepper on the avocado
- Add a drizzle of olive oil and a dollop of Harissa on top
[SMASHED AVOCADO FLATBREAD] [V]
- 1/2 avocado, smashed
- 1/4 c crumbled, herbed goat cheese
- OR plain feta plus sliced Italian olives and a dash of red pepper to taste
- 1 sprouted grain Ezekiel wrap
- 1 drizzle of olive oil (optional)
- Toast your Ezekiel wrap
- Spread mashed avocado on wrap
- Sprinkle herbed goat cheese evenly on top, lightly pressing the cheese into the avocado
- Drizzle with olive oil if desired
- Cut into 4 pieces for easy eating!
[CREAMY COLESLAWVOCADO] [VV] [V] [DF] [GF]
- 1 avocado
- ½ c cilantro (optional)
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp course ground mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ head of shredded green cabbage
- ½ head of shredded red cabbage
- ½ c shredded carrots
- ½ c shredded red bell pepper
- ¾ c of Extra Virgin olive oil
- Sea salt & cracked pepper to taste
- Put the first 5 ingredients into a blender and puree
- Slowly add olive oil while continuing to blend
- Pour mixture over shredded veggies and mix in a large bowl
- Add salt and pepper to taste
[FETTUCINI AVOCADO] [VV] [V] [DF] [GF]
A note about alternate grain pastas: Quinoa pasta is best eaten fresh and doesn’t store well, while brown rice pasta is best cooked al dente. Both are delicious, more nutritious than white or wheat pastas and gluten free!
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 2-3 dashes of cayenne
- 2-3 dashes of tumeric
- ½ c coconut milk
- 6 dashes garlic powder
- 4 dashes onion salt
- 1 tbsp of nutritional yeast or parmesan
- 3 dashes white pepper (black pepper if you don’t have it)
- Squeeze of ½ lemon
- 1 lb of pasta (I use brown rice or quinoa pasta to keep it gluten free)
- Salt and additional nutritional yeast/parmesan to taste if needed
- Garnish with basil if desired
- Smash avocado in a bowl
- Add spices, lemon and yeast (or cheese) to avocado bowl and set aside
- Boil pasta until al dente
- Strain and return to pot, keeping about 3 tbsp of the starchy water in the bottom
- Add coconut milk
- Add smashed avocado and spices, stir until well mixed
- Garnish with basil and additional salt or nutritional yeast/cheese if desired
The dog days of summer are upon us. In August and most of September, the city is hot, humid, stinky. But that needn’t mean we should look the part. If you are over your summer attire, here is some inspiration to get you through the next two months of heat - at prices you can justify spending so late in the game. Click through for a round up of some sweet summer steals that will keep you looking fresh, even when you don't feel it.
*Don't forget that you can still get 20% off all purchases on Royal Native - just enter discount code NATTYSTYLE at checkout!
[CLICK HERE] To read full post via Guest of a Guest
"NYC-based stylist and The Hippie in Heels blogger Natalie Decleve is famous for her impeccable gypset style and natural approach to beauty. Natty took a minute out of her summer travels to share with us the well-edited products she's never without."
Unlike winter's cloaking costumes, bathing suits reveal bodies for what they are: natural, complex, ours. This kind of exposure can be intimidating as we bare what is otherwise mostly hidden behind bedroom walls. Prancing around in next to nothing, we open ourselves up to scrutiny -- that of others, maybe -- but mostly, of our own. We tend to be our own harshest critic, agonizing over the differences between our body and say, a supermodel's.
Women come in all shapes and sizes, though the media often tends toward a narrow-minded viewpoint on what is beautiful and aspirational. We are constantly being promised “ultimate diet secrets” and ways to “get the perfect body” by magazines and TV shows, yet through that we are also being programmed to feel ashamed of our imperfections; leading to a disappointing self-image and insecurity. Yet, rather than focusing on the so called flaws in our figure, the true path to contentment is found by embracing our bodies in full, the way one embraces a friend or a loved one.
As we bask in longer days and balmy temperatures, so too should a healthy body should be celebrated. Having a swimsuit that suits your figure will help give you the confidence to enjoy the warmer months in style. And nothing is more beautiful than confidence.
So drop your doubts along with your towel, and dive in with one of these bathing beauties!
[CLICK HERE] To view full post via Darling Magazine, or below for just the basics.
SMALLER ON TOP Balance a smaller top with a larger bottom by wearing ruffles, prints and light colors on top. Solid bottoms draw less attention, and a high waist with structure can flatter curves.
- Halter One-Piece with Ruffle
- Boho Print Swing Top
- Printed Bandeau with Solid Bottom
- Tie Dye Bralette with Ruffle
- Black Triangle Top with High Waist Bottoms
- Striped One Piece with Solid Bottom
SMALLER ON BOTTOM Embellishments on hips add volume and help to balance a fuller bust. Prints and ruffles also draw the eye, while halter necks are perfect for broad shoulders.
- Printed Halter One Piece
- Black Top, Printed Bottom One Piece
- Printed Bikini with Wide Bottom
- Bandeau with Embelished Hip Bottom
- Cobalt Halter Top with Side Tie Bottom
- Solid Bandeau with Ruffle Print Bottom
BOYISH FIGURE Create shape using angled stripes, peplums and plunging v-necks. A slightly padded top with a print is ideal for adding curves, or embrace a slim frame with a delicate string bikini.
- Tankini with Peplum
- Black Ruffle Strapless One Piece
- Striped Sporty Bikini
- Printed String Bikini
- Ruffled Crop Top
- Flamingo Printed Balconette with String Bottom
HOURGLASS FIGURE Support a full bust with a balconette, or structured top. A sporty tankini smooths out extreme curves, while criss-crossed styles celebrate shape. Accentuate a narrow waist with side paneling and ruching.
- Ruched Balconette Halter
- Black & White Paneled One Piece
- Orange Pom Pom String Bikini w/Padding
- White Criss-Cross Bikini
- Sporty Tankini with Neon
- Black & White V Neck One Piece
FULL FIGURE Vertical stripes or paneling streamline the figure, and thick straps provide support. Create smooth lines and avoid uncomfortable pinching with a halter neck and low back on top, and a boy short or soft-waisted bottom.
- Black Halter with Boy Leg
- Vertical Stripe Halter
- Black & White Mixed Print Bikini
- Plunging Pink Twist Front One Piece
- White Mesh Panel Strapless
- Underwire Halter Top & Fold Over Bottom
[PHOTO CRED] Shop Sweet Things
Fashion is often a battle between style and comfort. So when we find a product that serves both teams PLUS makes you feel good on the inside, it's a home run! I was recently approached by Sseko sandals to be a part of their 30 Ways, 30 Days campaign to spread the word about their brand. It didn't take me long to say yes...